The Best Lighting for Your Living Room
Take a look around your living room? How do you feel about the lighting? Are you happy with the amount of light you have or does your living room need some help in that department?
Because your living room is such a focal point in your home and a room where many activities can take place – from watching television to entertaining guests – you want to make sure you have adequate and appropriate lighting.
If you’re ready to make some changes to your living room lighting, start by asking yourself these questions:
- Do I need “task” lighting?: When designers talk about “task” lighting, they are discussing the lighting needed for completing certain tasks – often reading. So, if you read in your living room in a specific chair, for example, you may want to purchase a lamp that will help illuminate that area for you.
- What areas of my living room need accent lighting?: Accent lighting is meant to bring your attention to a particular area of your living room. If you have a beautiful piece of artwork you’d like to showcase, this is where accent lighting will come into play.
- Does my living room actually have too much lighting?: One problem that interior designers often encounter when it comes to lighting is that a room is actually over-lit. Many rooms are just too bright. Be conscious of having too much light as you work lamps and fixtures into your space.
- Are my lighting choices too big (or too small) for my space?: While you may love that big, gorgeous lamp you saw at your local home décor shop, ask yourself if it will fit your living room. Too often, lamps and lighting fixtures don’t fit in the space you have. They can be too big and overwhelm your space or too small and not provide any impact at all.
- Does my lighting fit my design style?: A final thing to consider is your design style. While you may not be committed to a specific interior design style, it is important that your lighting choices fit with your current furnishings. You want a cohesive look that, hopefully, your lighting will enhance.
Now that you’ve assessed your needs, it’s time to start shopping. If you want to do your shopping online, here are some places to start:
- Lumens: Lumens has an excellent and extensive selection of lighting. You can easily search by room, by type, or by brand. They offer free shipping and have a 30-day return policy if you find that your choice doesn’t fit your space.
- Lamps Plus: The name says it all! They have all sorts of lamps and lights to fit just about any room in your home. Spend some time exploring all of their sections to find what you need and be sure to take a look at the “Sale and Clearance” area for some good deals.
- CB2: CB2 has more than just lighting, but if you want some trendy fixtures – head here first. You’ll love the unique choices.
Lighting is an essential part of a living room as it not only serves a functional purpose but also creates ambiance. Spend some time making sure your living room lighting matches your needs and style.