Holiday Books for Kids
At bedtime, do you read your children a story? Lots of parents do and kids seem to love that quality time together as a family. And let’s not forget how reading to a child can improve their language skills and make them better learners.
As the holiday season is quickly approaching, you may be looking to add a few books to your collection that are about the season. Here are a few you can check out!
- Hanukkah Bear by Eric A. Kimmel
- Bubba Brayna makes the best latkes in the village, and on the first night of Hanukkah, the scent of her cooking wakes a hungry, adorable bear from his hibernation. He lumbers into town to investigate, and Bubba Brayna—who does not see or hear very well—mistakes him for her rabbi. She welcomes the bear inside to play the dreidel game, light the menorah, and enjoy a scrumptious meal.
- However, after her well-fed guest leaves, there’s a knock at the door—it’s the rabbi, and all of Brayna’s other friends, arriving for dinner. But there are no latkes left—and together, they finally figure out who really ate them.
- The Story of Hanukkah by David A. Adler
- Hanukkah is a wonderful time filled with games, food, family, and fun.
- It’s also the celebration of an ancient miracle, and retelling and remembering the story of that miracle is an essential part of the holiday, for young and old. The story of the courageous Maccabees is retold in simple yet dramatic text, accompanied by vibrant paintings of the battle, the Temple of Jerusalem, and the oil which miraculously burned for eight long nights.
- A traditional recipe for latkes is included, as are directions for the dreidel game, for readers who want to continue the festivities at home.
- Little Blue Truck’s Christmas by Alice Schertle
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Little Blue Truck is spreading cheer by delivering Christmas trees to his animal friends. Can you help count each green tree from one to five and back again? Don’t forget to save one for Blue! Beep! Beep! With the gentle rhythm and signature illustration style that made Little Blue Truck a household name, Blue’s snowy adventure is full of holiday warmth. Sturdy cardstock pages, a compact and child-friendly text, and flashing colored Christmas lights on the final page come together in a novelty gift book that’s sure to be the favorite treat of the season.
- Santa’s Underwear by Marty Rhodes Figley
- It’s Christmas Eve and Santa is busy getting gussied up for the big night. But when he goes to put on his warm, cozy (holey, ragged) Christmas underwear, they’re nowhere to be found! With undies for every occasion, he tries on the rest of his collection. But nothing is quite right. Just when he’s about to give up he finds a surprise from his considerate team of reindeer. Ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas!
- Pig the Elf by Aaron Blabey
- Santa was coming! ‘Twas bigger than big! No one loves Christmas more than Pig. And the world’s greediest pug will stay up all night to get his presents! When Pig yips at Santa and finds himself joining in on the flying sleigh ride, things quickly get out of hand in a way that is pure Pig pandemonium.
- Together for Kwanzaa by Juwanda G. Ford
- Kwanzaa is Kayla’s favorite time of year. But this year, it looks as if a heavy snowstorm will keep her big brother, Khari, from getting home in time for the festivities! Will Khari miss the celebration completely? Or will Kayla and her brother somehow find a way to be together for Kwanzaa? A perfect introduction to Kwanzaa, this book will teach children all about the traditions and practices that make it a special winter holiday.
This year, why not introduce your children to one of these great holiday books? They’re sure to bring a smile to their face as they prepare for this special time of year.
***All book descriptions courtesy of Amazon