Now Is the Time to Look For This Seasonal Produce
What do you love about summer? The sun setting late? Warm temperatures? Flowers in full bloom? Are you a fan of all of the fresh produce in the grocery stores and farmers’ markets?
If fresh fruit and vegetables are at the top of your list, then there is certainly no shortage at this time of year. It’s a great time to pick up some produce and try a few new recipes. Not sure what you should be trying? Look for these fruits and vegetables and give a few of these recipes a try.
- Arugula: This leafy green has a slightly peppery flavor and is an excellent addition to any salad. If you want to make it the star of the show, then try this salad: Arugula Salad with Olive Oil, Lemon, and Parmesan Cheese.
- Basil: This herb is plentiful during the summer months. Use it in this Heirloom Caprese Salad to taste its full flavor.
- Beets: If you think you don’t like beets, give them another try in this Beet Salad with Goat Cheese.
- Blackberries: When these are in season, be sure to pick them up and make Blackberry Cobbler. Serve it with vanilla ice cream, and you have an amazing dessert.
- Blueberries: Fresh blueberries are another fruit to be on the lookout for during the summer. And make a double batch of To Die For Blueberry Muffins to showcase their sweetness!
- Broccoli: When you see fresh broccoli – grab it! And then try Garlic Grilled Broccoli – it’s a great side dish for any grilled protein.
- Cabbage: Coleslaw is great when you have a big head of cabbage, but if you want to fix it another way, then give Lemon Garlic Sauteed Cabbage a try.
- Carrots: Fresh carrots make an excellent summer snack for kids, but if you want to elevate them a bit, Summer Carrot Ribbon Salad is the way to go.
- Corn: Sweet corn is a summertime treat that everyone looks forward to! Try Grilled Sweet Corn to have a true taste of the season.
Cucumbers: Looking for a new way to serve up cucumbers? Sesame-Ginger Cucumber Salad is delicious!
- Eggplant: Eggplant is a really versatile vegetable as it takes on a lot of flavor from your herbs and spices when cooking. Try these Baked Eggplant Sticks for a side dish or snack.
- Green Beans: When you see fresh green beans, pick up a pound and try Honey Balsamic Green Beans. The hint of sweetness from the honey is fabulous!
- Green Onions/Scallions: These mild onions are great on tacos or in a salad, but Scallion Pancakes are a great side dish with any Asian meal you may have.
- Melons: Lots of different varieties of melons come into season during the summer – so be sure to pick up whatever is currently available. And if watermelon is your melon of choice, try this Grilled Watermelon with Blue Cheese and Prosciutto for something different.
- Peppers: You’ll see them in all sorts of different colors – and they’ll all work for this Mexican Stuffed Peppers recipe!
- Radishes: This root vegetable has a peppery taste to it, and while it’s often sliced up and put in salads, Garlic Roasted Radishes are delicious if you want to try them cooked.
- Raspberries: Another of summer’s most delicious berries are raspberries. Make these Raspberry Crumble Bars for a sweet dessert.
- Summer Squash: Kids will often say they don’t like squash but make Baked Parmesan Yellow Squash, and they’ll change their tune.
- Tomatoes: Pick up all the varieties you see this summer and enjoy them when they’re ripe! And make a Classic Panzanella Salad to bring out their best flavor.
- Zucchini: Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a great recipe for this summer vegetable.
What produce do you look forward to eating in the summer? Did it make this list? What recipes do you make to showcase summer’s bounty at its freshest? No matter what you like, summer is the time to enjoy the season’s fruits and vegetables.