16 Skills Every Adult Should Master
When you were growing up, did your parents try to teach you all sorts of life skills? Skills they thought you’d need as you got older? And now that you’re older do you wish you’d paid more attention? Most people probably feel this way.
But it’s never too late to learn! Learning is a life-long process! Take a look at this list of skills that every adult should master – and see which ones you can do – and which ones you need to learn!
- How to Build a Campfire: Just in case you’re ever on the show “Survivor” or you decide to spend the weekend enjoying the great outdoors, knowing how to build a campfire is a good skill to have. REI shares the step-by-step process for you – so be sure you don’t forget the marshmallows!
- How to Change a Flat Bike Tire: Whether you like to ride your bike, or your children do, flats are bound to happen. Changing a bike tire isn’t overly complicated, and you can even teach your children how to do it.
- How to Change a Flat Car Tire: Flat tire on your car? Yes, it’s a bummer, but if you have a spare and the know-how – you can change it! And it can be done in only 5 steps.
- How to Properly Paint a Room: Painting a room doesn’t seem like a difficult task – and it’s not – as long as you follow the steps. Home Depot has a great video that takes you through the entire process from start to finish.
- How to Get a Car Unstuck in the Snow: Winter driving can be treacherous. If you ever find yourself stuck in the snow, check out the advice from Jalopnik to get yourself out.
- How to Back Up a Trailer: You might not have to do this very often, but it can be scary the first time if you’re not sure what you’re doing.
- How to Sharpen a Knife: Dull knives are not only a nuisance in the kitchen, but they can actually be dangerous as they can slip when you are cutting things – leading to injury.
- How to Drive a Stick Shift: If you’ve ever watched an episode of “The Amazing Race,” there is inevitably one team that does not know how to drive a stick shift. While more and more cars are automatic, this is a skill you should have in your bag of tricks.
- How to Iron a Shirt: Don’t head to that important job interview or meeting in a wrinkled shirt; learn to iron and look like perfection!
- How to Recover When Your Car Is In a Skid: This is a scary situation, but you can get your car under control when you follow these steps.
- How to Sew a Button: And don’t let a button that’s popped off keep you from wearing your favorite pants – sew it on quickly and be on your way.
- How to Tie a Necktie: Ah, the dreaded necktie. Spend some time learning to tie a few of your favorite knots!
- How to Make a Bed: A well-made bed is definitely a good skill – and will help you sleep better, too.
- How to Carve a Turkey: Sure, Thanksgiving has passed, but the next time you cook a turkey, you can carve it like a pro when you follow these directions.
- How to Perform the Heimlich: Hopefully, you’ll never have to use it, but you should know how to perform the Heimlich.
- How to Do Hands-Only CPR: This is another skill that you can hope you will never have to use, but you could save someone’s life by knowing it.
How many of these skills do you know? And how many do you need to learn? No matter how old you are, remember it’s never too late to learn life skills. You never know when they may come in handy!