Home Decor Trends
When it comes to trends, everyone knows that what’s popular today may not be popular next week. Of course, there are some trends that actually leave “trendy” behind and become popular style choices. Some of them even become classic styles.
You can never be sure if what’s trendy today is going to remain in style – and sometimes it doesn’t matter. Your style should be a reflection of you. But, if you’re wanting to incorporate some of the current home decor trends into your place – here are some you might want to try.
- Bringing the Outdoors In: This is actually a fairly simple trend to embrace. Start by letting in as much natural light as possible. Then, add flowers and plants to your space. You want your home to look green and feel lush. Think about furniture that can be added that showcases natural woods, rocks and stone, and other natural materials. Finally, choose colors that seem to emulate nature. Blues, yellows, greens, and neutral colors will all work well.
- Lighter Finish for Wood: For years it seemed that dark woods were all the rage. Dark cabinets. Dark wood flooring. Furniture in dark tones like mahogany, walnut, and dark cherry was everywhere. Now the trend is for lighter tones. Oak and maple are all extremely trendy right now. And, while you may not want to make the complete switch to lighter wood tones, you can think about mixing and matching light and dark woods in your home quite easily.
- Bold Walls: Accent walls have always been popular. It’s been a great way to bring a splash of color to a room. But, now accent walls are out and painting all of your walls a bold color is in. Think oranges, yellows, and bright blues. If it’s a bold color, designers want your walls painted with it.
- Mixing Metals: At one point in time, you would always try to have the metals in your home be all one finish. Brushed nickel, copper, bronze and gold-tone fixtures and elements have been popular for a long time, and now you can mix and match your metals. Love a bronze lamp, but have an overhead light fixture that’s brushed nickel? Go for it! The trend says mixing metals is in!
- Millennial Pink (Blush): The hot color right now is…Millennial Pink. Also known as blush, pale pink or delicate pink, this color is all the rage. You’ll find it being used on trendy furniture pieces, accent pieces, as a paint color and more. It’s not for everyone, but if you want to add a smidge of pink to your decor – now’s the time!
- Matte Finishes: Shiny finishes are out, and matte finishes are in. Whether it’s on the walls, on the furniture or in your choice of art – the matte finish trend is dominating decor currently.
- Soft Fabrics: Soft fabrics are popular these days, and many hope this trend will stick around for a while. Luxurious velvets, velours, and silks are all making their mark, and you can bring home accessories in these fabrics that will have you showing off your style effortlessly.
- Retro Mixes: The final trend that seems to be making itself known right now is the mixing of retro pieces. Whether it’s retro fabrics, furniture designs or accessories, they’re making a name for themselves in interior design. Maybe it’s time to go check your grandmother’s attic for a few things!
Whether you like to embrace the trends or not, it’s always fun to at least know what’s popular right now. Perhaps you’ll incorporate small pieces of popular home decor trends into your home – or maybe you’ll just wait and see if you like the next wave of trends better!