December 8th is National Brownie Day!
What’s your favorite dessert? Cake? Cookies? Pie? Or, are you a brownie person?
If you’re a brownie person, then you probably appreciate their rich chocolate flavor and the ease with which you can add different ingredients to change them up.
And, while there are some good box mixes out there, they’re not too difficult to make from scratch! Here’s a little history on this delicious dessert and a few recipes to inspire you for National Brownie Day – which is coming up on December 8th!
History of the Brownie
- Brownies date back to the 1890s. One legend states that they were first created at the Palmer House Hotel in 1893 for Bertha Palmer. They say that Bertha was looking for a dessert that was similar to a cake but could be put in box lunches. And the hotel came up with a brownie!
- The first printed use of the word “brownie” was in a cookbook by Fannie Farmer in 1896 – but her version didn’t contain chocolate. (So was it truly a brownie?) It had molasses – so it was brown in color – but not the chocolate dessert we think of today.
- Soon enough, by 1907, the brownies we know and love were quite commonly known and had become a dessert staple across the country.
Brownie Recipes: When it comes to brownies, there are many variations. And whether you like them to be “fudgy” or “cakey” – there’s a brownie recipe for you. And here are a few favorites that you might like!
- Best Homemade Brownies: This is a good all-around brownie recipe. These brownies are rich in flavor and make an 8”x8” pan – which is perfect for when you need a little treat.
- Best Fudgy Cocoa Brownies: If fudgy brownies are your “thing” – then check this recipe out. You make them in one bowl (which means you don’t have a ton of dishes) and the secret hot butter (which gives a crackly top) and the tablespoon of oil (which keeps them fudge-like and moist).
- Moist Cake Brownies: If cake-like brownies are your favorite – then here’s your recipe. And this recipe makes a 9”x13” pan – so you’ll have plenty!
- Oreo Brownies: Everyone loves Oreos – so why not add them to your brownies? They’re a great combination – and are a perfect way to jazz up your favorite brownie recipe.
- Caramel Brownies: Caramel is another excellent addition to brownies. You’ll love how the flavors are layered in this recipe to make a fudgy – and sticky – dessert!
- Pecan Pie Brownies: If you’re torn between making a pecan pie or a batch of brownies, well, there’s no reason not to have both. This recipe combines the two so that you have the best of both worlds in one spectacular dessert.
- Peanut Butter Brownies: Yes, peanut butter and chocolate is an iconic duo, and this recipe puts that duo together in a scrumptious brownie. Sandwiched between two layers of brownie dough, you’ll find a flavorful peanut butter filling that will definitely remind you of that famous candy that so many people love.
- Brookies: Alright, have you heard of Brookies? A combination of brownies and cookies? Well, you have now! It’s a fantastic combination of chocolate chip cookie dough and brownie batter – all baked in a 13”x9” pan!
So, are you ready to celebrate National Brownie Day on December 8th? With these recipes, you have no excuse not to make a batch of your favorite brownies and enjoy a big piece with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee!