8 Ways to Spruce Up Your Salads
Gone are the days of boring, plain salads. If your idea of a salad is a big bowl of green, and not much else, then it’s time to spruce up your salads! Salads are healthy, of course, but they’re also really tasty when done right. Here are five ways to spruce up your salads and take them from tiresome to tasty:
- Add proteins– Many people believe that salads are all about the greens. What they don’t realize is that they can also be a great source of protein, too. The good thing is that proteins are so easy to incorporate into salads! Just add a few nuts, like almonds, cashews, or walnuts into your bowl of green to give it an instant crunch.
- Sweeten things up– Fruits like strawberries, grapes, pears, apples, raisins, or dried cranberries are all great ways to spruce up your boring salad! Not only do they add a surge of sweetness, but they’re healthy, and can even replace a dressing.
- Use alternatives to dressing– We all know how fattening and unhealthy salad dressing can be. Sure, it tastes good, but it’s essentially cancelling out all of the good things you’re putting into your body. Spruce up those leafy greens with some healthy, but just as delicious, dressing alternatives. Believe it or not, hummus makes a great “dressing” for your salad. Avocado is another great idea to incorporate into salads. Both of these provide a nice source of healthy fats to your diet, and they taste great, too!
- Add texture– Adding texture to any salad is made easy with the addition of a grain, such as quinoa or barley. Keep things interesting with every bite by adding some variety in texture to your salads.
- Spice up the flavor– Spicing up your salad can be as easy as 1-2-bean. Seriously, just add some beans, and voila: a flavorful, fiber-packed punch that spices up any boring, tasteless salad. Try adding chickpeas or pinto beans to your salad for the best flavors.
- Switch up the greens– If you always start your salads with the same green base, then switch things up by varying your greens! Ditch the same old iceberg lettuce, and try some spinach, romaine, or kale. You’d be surprised at how much just trying different greens can transform the same salad.
- Try hot veggies– It sounds weird at first, but salads don’t have to be made of all cold ingredients. Try grilling or sautéing some veggies, like bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, or asparagus. It’s a simple thing that makes a huge difference, and it will give your salad an entirely new taste.
- Add some cheeses– If you’re a cheese-lover, then you’ll love the idea of using cheese as a staple in your salad. Try an old favorite like parmesan, or a sharp cheddar or pepper-jack to liven things up even more.
Salads don’t have to be boring. You truly can’t go wrong with adding any of the ingredients mentioned above. Give your salads new life by adding fruits, nuts, hummus, grilled veggies, or even just switching up the greens you use. The possibilities are endless!